Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom is an upcoming American superhero film based on the DC Comics character Aquaman. Produced by DC Studios, Safran Company, and Atomic Monster Productions, and scheduled for distribution by Warner Bros. Pictures, it is the sequel to Aquaman (2018) and the 15th and final installment in the DC Extended Universe (DCEU). Directed by James Wan and written by David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick. The film is set to premiere on December 25, 2023, following several delays due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and post-production and financial setbacks.
As we know, Arthur Curry is half-human and half-Atlantean. Curry is born with the ability to communicate with marine creatures. In the first movie, Aquaman (2018), Arthur goes on a quest to retrieve the legendary Trident of Atlan in order to protect the water world. In Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (2023), Aquaman forgets an uneasy alliance with an unlikely ally in a bid to save Atlantis and the rest of the planet
- Jason Momoa as Arthur Curry/Aquaman a half-Atlantean/half-human king of Atlantis who can swim at supersonic speeds and communicate with aquatic life.
- Amber Heard as Mera, the princess of Xebel and daughter of King Nereus who can control water with her mind and communicate with other Atlanteans telepathically.
- Willem Dafoe as Nuidis Vulko who is the vizier of Atlantis and Arthur’s mentor.
- Patrick Wilson as Orm Marius, Arthur’s Atlantean half-brother and the former king of Atlantis who is imprisoned following his crimes against Atlantis.
- Dolph Lundgren as King Nereus who is the king of Xebel and Mera’s father.
- Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as David Kane/Black Manta, a ruthless pirate and high-seas mercenary who uses an Atlantean armored suit, seeking to kill Aquaman as revenge for the death of his father.
- Temuera Morrison as Tom Curry, Arthur’s father, a lighthouse keeper.
- Nicole Kidman as Atlanna, Arthur’s mother and the former queen of Atlantis.
It is expected for Ben Affleck to reprise his role as Bruce Wayne/Batman, one of the most popular characters of the DC Extended Universe.
Filming began in London in 2021. It also took place at Saunton Sands Beach. Almost all of the film was shot in the United Kingdom and the production moved to Hawaii. Some scenes were shot in New Jersey and Los Angeles and ended in January 2022.