Hunters is an American conspiracy drama television series created by David Weil. It premiered on February 2020, on Amazon Prime Video. Yet season 2 which consists of eight episodes, premiered on January 13, 2023. Here is the premise, cast, and reception.
The series’ characters draw from a number of real Nazi hunters through the decades but are not meant to be a specific representation of any of them. It follows a diverse band of Nazi hunters living in 1977 New York City who discovers that numerous escaped Nazi officers are conspiring to create a Fourth Reich in the United States. A parallel plot element is the discovery of Operation Paperclip, the U.S. government operation relocation German scientists to the U.S.
- Logan Lerman as Jonah Heidelbaum, a young mathematics genius who takes his grandmother’s place among the Hunters.
- Al Pacino as Meyer Offerman, a Polish-Jewish philanthropist and Holocaust survivor who recruits and leads the Hunters.
- Lena Olin as Eva Braun-Hitler / The Colonel, leader of the Fourth Reich, and Hitler’s wife.
- Jerrika Hinton as Millie Morris, an FBI agent who stumbles onto the Fourth Reich and the Hunters during a murder investigation.
- Saul Rubinek as Murray Markowitz (season 1), Mindy’s husband and the Hunters’ electronics expert; a German-Jewish Holocaust survivor.
- Carol Kane as Mindy Markowitz, Murray’s wife, and the Hunters’ signals expert; a German-Jewish Holocaust survivor.
- Josh Radnor as Lonny Flash, an actor and master of disguises for the Hunters.
- Greg Austin as Travis Leich, an American Neo-Nazi acolyte drawn into the Fourth Reich. Tiffany Boone as Roxy Jones, a member of the Hunters who specializes in counterfeiting and forgery.
- Louis Ozawa as Joe Mizushima, a Vietnam War veteran, and the Hunters’ combat expert. He turns against the Hunters in Season 2 after being kidnapped by The Colonel.
- Kate Mulvany as Sister Harriet, a former MI6 operative who now works with the Hunters; a former German-Jewish child refugee.
- Dylan Baker as Biff Simpson, an Undersecretary of State in the Carter administration and secretly an undercover Nazi agent. (season 1, guest season 2)
- Jennifer Jason Leigh (season 2) as Chava Apfelbaum, a Jewish Nazi hunter, and Ruth’s sister and Jonah’s great-aunt.
- Udo Kier (season 2; stand-in guest season 1) as Adolf Hitler, the former Führer of the Third Reich, who faked his death, and mastermind of the Fourth Reich.
The series has a 65 on the web aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, its critical consensus says “Propelled by a strong cast and even stronger sense of justice, Hunters’ stylish first season doesn’t always hit the mark, but when it does, it strikes pulpy paydirt”. On Metacritic, the series has a 54 out of 100, indicating “mixed or average reviews”